I love the ice-fishing and pike fishing cans in particular from the “Famous Outdoor” series from the 1970s…but I know, you’re thinking, if Schmidts beer was from St. Paul, why was it known as “the Beer that Grew with the Great Northwest” (as in the Pacific Northwest)? It’s because when Jacob Schmidt founded the brewery in1901, land west of the Mississippi was still known as the Northwest. Over time, the beer became known as the “Official Beer of the American Sportsman.”.
Other notable contemporary craft breweries with fish themes:
- Dogfish Head Brewery (Milton, DE) “Shark Beer”
- Flying Fish Brewing Company (Cherry Hill, NJ)
- Rooster Fish Brewing (Watkins Glen, NY)
- Fish Brewing Company (Olympia, WA) “Wild Organic Salmon Pale Ale”
- Mad River Brewing (Blue Lake, CA) “Steelhead Ales”
- Battenkill Brewing (Arlington, VT) “Brown Trout Stout”
- SweetWater Brewing, (Atlanta, GA) “Catch-n-Release Brews”
Beer and fish, what else is there?