OK, so today I spent the entire day inside waiting for the cable guy and on conference calls. Cabin fever strikes again. So I have realized a couple of solutions to deal with being stuck inside and unable to fish. I’m definitely going to at least go hiking…there’s nothing stopping that and I have the right gear, even for the cold weather. I’m also going to start studying for the coming 2012 hunting season. I’ve signed up for my NY Hunter Safety and Bow Hunter courses next month in the Bronx. If you’re interested in such a course, go here, they’re free. Oddly enough, the classes I’m taking are being taught at the MLK Jr. Center for Chemical Dependence Outpatient Services. Weird right?
But here’s my BIG IDEA! Why not ask you, my reader? To that end I want to announce deadbait’s first reader poll. Here’s the deal–if you’re an angler or hunter or general outdoors-oriented person, share with me your BEST solution for fighting winter cabin fever right in the comments section of this blog post. I will publish the top 10 solutions (I will pick them) in a later blog post and the top 3 will win one of the prizes below.
- Red Gold DVD of the hit conservation and angling film that documents the devastating effect mining could have on Bristol Bay, something I’ve written about in-depth before. Its still in the shrink wrap (I’ve seen the film before).
- 3-pack of hand-tied Grey Wulff flies tied by the reknowned outfitter and fly-tier Bob Jacklin. I won a bunch of flies during a NYC TU raffle and want to share the love. You’ll get a #10, #12, and #14 grey wulff I SWEAR by the provenance of these. Jacklin’s Fly Shop in West Yellowstone, MT is well-known. Don’t worry I’ve got 7 more in each pattern for my OWN collection. I plan on mounting three and fishing the rest. Afterall, what is a fly that hasn’t been fished? Useless that’s what.
- Rogue’s Gallery Anchor keychain by designer Alex Carlton, founder of Rogue’s Gallery in Portland, Maine and also the designer of the L.L. Bean Signature line. These are pretty hard to find. I bought this for myself but then my girl got me a Makr keychain I prefer. If you figure it out, its also a handy bottle-opener.
There will be 3 prize winners. First prize winner gets first pick out of the following three prizes, second prize winner gets second pick. This is an informal “poll” so no monkey business. Deadline is Feb. 15th, midnight and I will only ship in the US. One submission please only. When you post, please “follow” this blog so I can contact you later. Yes, people might see your idea and try to top it–that’s the point, but if you’ve read my blog or my tumblr blog before you know a little about what makes me tick. I just want to know what YOU do break out of your cabin fever.
1) tell me your best solution to cabin fever and post it in the comments of this blog post
2) “follow” the blog so I can contact you if you win
3) and share this blog post